[Vegan] Butternut Squash Risotto. Quick and fancy, this Vegan Risotto with Roasted Butternut Squash is sure to impress! Often risotto calls for butter and cheese, but my vegan version doesn't have a trace of dairy, and it's just as comforting and delicious! Reviews for: Photos of Butternut Squash Risotto.
Vegan Mushroom Barley Risotto is one of my favorite dishes from Italian cuisine and it goes down swimmingly in our rice-loving home. Butternut squash makes the risotto extra special, adding a deep, rich sweetness highlighted by the warm smokiness of the sage. While the squash is roasting, prepare the risotto. You can have [Vegan] Butternut Squash Risotto using 7 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of [Vegan] Butternut Squash Risotto
- It’s 1 cup of arborio or other medium-grained rice (you need a starchy rice for risotto, unlike the long-grained basmati).
- It’s 2 tablespoon of olive oil.
- It’s 1 of butternut squash, peeled and cut into a 1/2-inch dice.
- It’s 4-5 cups of hot vegetable stock (you could use water, but a stock is far more preferable for better flavour).
- You need 1/2 cup of white wine.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh sage or 1 tablespoon dried sage.
- Prepare to taste of Salt and ground black pepper.
Bring the stock to the boil and keep on a low simmer. What to Serve with Butternut Squash Risotto. I like to serve the risotto as the main dish. If this is what you are planning to do, then I recommend pairing it will a side salad and perhaps a soup.
[Vegan] Butternut Squash Risotto step by step
- Cashew Cheese made by blending together 1/4 cup cashews, 1 tsp nutritional yeast, 1/4 cup of water, and salt to taste (optional).
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the butternut squash, a pinch of salt, and some ground black pepper..
- Saute over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes or until the squash starts to soften and caramelize..
- Turn down the heat to medium. Add the rice and stir it with the squash until it begins to turn opaque, about 1 minute. Season again with salt and pepper..
- Add the white wine and cook, stirring, until the wine’s almost evaporated..
- Add 1/2 cup of vegetable stock and stir it in. Once the stock has almost evaporated, add another 1/2 cup. Repeat until the rice is cooked. It took me about 35 minutes. Don’t forget to season again with salt and pepper at the end. You might need more or less stock, and you basically want the rice to be tender yet slightly toothy, or al dente. In other words, you don’t want mushy ride. You also don’t want the rice to be dry and lumpy. It should be smooth and creamy..
- Now add the cashew cheese, if you’re using it, and stir it in. Immediately add the sage and mix. Turn off the heat..
As for the soup, keep it on the lighter side. A nice tomato bisque or this vegan beet soup would work great! This creamy recipe for vegan butternut squash risotto looks and tastes fancy, but it's easy to prepare. Before I get to the business of sharing this wonderful, comfort food recipe for vegan butternut squash risotto, I want to thank you all for the enthusiastic response to my back to. Butternut Squash Mushroom Risotto made with tender grains of arborio rice in a creamy butternut squash sauce.