AMIEs RICE with PEAs. The peas in this aren't really peas at all, but red beans. It is customary in the Caribbean to refer to beans as peas. This recipe uses coconut cream, but the flavor is mild and not overpowering–just enough to give a hint of island flavor.
As such, they prepared their favorite dishes – Rice and Peas high on the list. In this episode I show you, how to make turmeric rice with peas aka yellow rice. This fluffy Jamaican rice dish features authentic Caribbean flavors like fragrant ginger, sweet coconut milk and a kick of Scotch bonnet pepper. You can have AMIEs RICE with PEAs using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of AMIEs RICE with PEAs
- You need 400 grams of green peas.
- It’s 1 2/3 liter of chicken stock, heated.
- You need 80 grams of butter.
- You need 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 medium of onion, finely diced.
- Prepare 2 cup of arborio or other risotto rice.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of grated parmesan.
- You need 2 tbsp of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped.
- You need 1 of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- You need 1 tbsp of mint, finely chopped (optional).
This simple Baked Rice and Peas dish uses pantry and freezer staples, a great side dish to go along with grilled shrimp or chicken. There is something nice about being able to put something in the oven, setting the timer and forgetting about it. Seasoned rice and peas make an excellent main meal. I am sure it will become a favorite once you try it.
AMIEs RICE with PEAs instructions
- Heat half the butter and the oil in a large, heave-based saucepan over-low medium heat. Add the onion and saute until softened. Add the peas and cook for 10 minutes. Place half of cooked peas in a food processor and blend until pureed. Set aside..
- Add the rice with the remaining peas, stirring to coat, and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add the stock gradually, a ladle at a time, stirring constantly. Be sure the liquid is absorbed before the next addition. Cook for 10 minutes, adding the stock.gradually, stirring continously. Add the puree and cook for another 5-10 minutes, adding any remaining stock, until rice is al dente..
- Mix half the parmesan, the remaining butter, the parsley and mint. Season with salt and pepper. Served topped with the remaining cheese..
The whole family LOVED this unique flavor with a mild kick! My son hates peas but ate all of them when they were surrounded with this yummy rice! Meanwhile, if fresh peas are used, drop them into boiling salted water and cook one minute or less until tender. You can use brown rice in place of white rice if you'd like, but the cooking time will be longer. Add the meat along with the peas so it.