Sushi Rice (Shari, Sumeshi, Sushimeshi). "Perfect sushi starts with perfect rice. For that you will need a good recipe and some care. In this page you will find the instructions you need to make Preparing the sushi rice might look complicated and pedantic at first, but as you go along with it you might notice that it's just like making ordinary rice.
Sushi-meshi 鮨飯 (also known as Su-meshi 酢飯, shari 舎利, or gohan ご飯) is a preparation of white, short-grained, Japanese rice mixed with a dressing consisting. Head this way » Note: konbu is dried Japanese sea kelp. It is available in any Japanese supermarket. You can have Sushi Rice (Shari, Sumeshi, Sushimeshi) using 4 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Sushi Rice (Shari, Sumeshi, Sushimeshi)
- Prepare 2 of gou (=360ml or 300g) Short grain rice (turn into approx. 1.5 lb Sushi Rice).
- It’s 3-4 tbsps of Rice vinegar or White wine vinegar.
- Prepare 2 tbsps of Sugar.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of Salt.
Aim a fan set to low. Master the art of making sushi rice with this easy tutorial. Learn my secrets for making the best authentic Japanese sushi rice from scratch. It may not be the most exciting part of sushi, but the rice, known as sushimeshi (鮨飯) in Japanese, is what makes sushi, sushi.
Sushi Rice (Shari, Sumeshi, Sushimeshi) step by step
- Put the rice into a bowl and pour cold water. Shape your hand like holing a tennis ball then rinse the rice drawing circles gently but quickly 10 times. Dispose the water. Repeat 4-5 times until the water gets semitransparent. Drain with the strainer..
- A tip: Some decades ago, they said you had to wash or scrub the rice to remove the smell. But because of development of rice-milling technology today, it's recommended to rinse it gently. If not, grains are likely to chip and run gooey after steam. Rice for Sushi must be cooked slightly harder than normal steamed rice..
- Put rinsed rice into the rice cooker and pour 400ml water. Or follow the scale inside if yours has it. Cook as usual, or if there's a menu for Sushi rice, you might be able to try to use it I haven't use this function ever though:).
- When the rice is done, swiftly add sugar, vinegar and salt on the rice and mix well. Not to crush the individual grains while mixing. Spread the seasoned rice onto a plate to cool down. If possible please fan to cook faster, so that the sushi rice gets shining..
- Just for your reference… the dinner of the day. Futo-maki sushi with this rice, Chilled tofu, Simmered squash with minced pork, Pea-tip salad..
It's finally time to talk about sushi meshi/shari. Shari is itamae yougo for sushi rice. It's also better to work with cooled sushimeshi if you're making temakizushi or makizushi (rolls) because it will keep the seaweed from getting chewy. Sushi (すし, 寿司, 鮨, pronounced [sɯɕiꜜ] or [sɯꜜɕi]) is a traditional Japanese dish of prepared vinegared rice (鮨飯, sushi-meshi), usually with some sugar and salt. Perfect sushi starts with perfect rice.